AirPlane Info

Though, I have travelled a lot in my 15 years of overseas stay, I didn’t care to understand any flight and make and some important terminologies about it. To me so far, it was like a carrier which took me safely from one place to another of my wish with ease and to my budget.

This January 2010, I am planning a trip to India and was shopping around for a flight ticket. All ticket costs more than my allocated budget. Finally, my wife got me a ticket after long internet searching hours! It was Etihad airlines. I haven’t heard about this airline much and so initially was panicking a bit to go with this or not. (You see my life is with this airline in that day and I want to play it safe). For that, I don’t want to miss out the deal.

So I did a bit of research about the airlines and air carriers. Wow, I felt I had to learn a lot about airlines and I was thinking, why I didn’t do this research before. Anyways, here is some flight information:
Major flight manufacturers are Boeing and Airbus. (We all know this information; at least I was happy with that).

Boeing is based on USA. However, Airbus is based on France.

Some of Airbus flights are:
A300, A310, A318, A319, A320, A 321, A330, A340, A350, A380


Airbus Numbering system:
The model number takes the form of the letter "A" followed by a '3', a digit, then followed normally by a '0' (except in the case of the A318, A319, A321 and A400M), e.g. A320. The succeeding three digit number represents the aircraft series, the engine manufacturer and engine version number respectively. To use an A320-200 with International Aero Engines (IAE) V2500-A1 engines as an example; the code is 2 for series 200, 3 for IAE and engine version 1, thus the aircraft number is A320-231.

Some of Boeing flights are:

737, 747, 767, 777, BBJ, 787


Boeing Numbering system:

The Boeing numbering system for commercial airliners starts with the airplane's model number, e.g. 377 followed by a dash and three digits (two numbers) following the pattern Boeing xxx-scc. In general, since the Boeing 707, the model number takes the form of a 7 followed by a digit and then by another 7, e.g. 737.
The series number is a single digit (s), e.g. -200. The following two digits number (cc) is attributed according to the company to which the aircraft was first delivered. These two digits are called Boeing customer codes. For instance, a Boeing 747-400 delivered to Malaysia Airlines would take the designation "747-4H6" while a 777-200 delivered to American Airlines would take the designation "777-223". See List of Boeing customer codes for a more complete list.

Major flight engine manufacturers are:

General Electric, CFM International, Pratt & Whitney, International Aero Engines, Rolls-Royce, Engine Alliance

Etihad airlines is based on UAE (Abu Dhabi) and was founded in 2002 and is emerging nicely. Last year alone they have transported 6 million people across the globe and it ranks in top 10. So I am convinced that this a nice airlines.

I will try to research more and get some interesting info about the flight plan and terms in the coming blogs. Visit often.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why I like “Diary” Program in Hello FM 106.4

Indian Police Cop

Avatar